Google

Friday, November 17, 2006

I am a "daughter" !!!


I recently saw a Hindi movie...it was a waste of time but it made me think about my own identity and my entity. The movie was about the struggles of a girl, from a small town, who comes to Mumbai. She tries to make the ends meet and take care of her family. She doesn't find a decent job and due to her father's illness and stuff she gets into prostitution. Most of you must have guessed the name of the movie by now, it is "Laaga Chunari Mein Daag". The movie was a drag and was so regressive in nature that I could not bear to really watch the whole thing.
The best character in the movie was the protagonist's father. He was into gambling, did not work but always found something to complain about. He is critical of his daughter all her life but in the end has a turn of heart and decides to pay her a compliment. This is where my irritation with the movie reaches its peak... The best compliment he gives her is "Beti, tu to mera beta hai" ("Daughter, you are my son"). At this point I really wanted to kill the director, story writer and the dialogue writer or anybody associated with the movie.
I was born a girl and am every bit proud of it. Is the best compliment given to a women is being equal to a man? Is that the best women can get? It is like telling an Indian, you are so good, you are like an American. Does it even make any sense? It did not even make any sense to me.
I am a beti and would like to be a beti only. I would not want to magically turn to a beta when i do something good or turn back to a beti when i do something wrong.
Love your daughters like daughters and not like the second best thing to a beta. I am thankful to God that my parents love me just the way I am!!!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger Mukesh.Gambhir said...

I really appreciate this… but dont know how many times we will raise this issue and when we will be out from this...

anyways nice blog and keep posting such articals..

take care...

Mukesh Gambhir

 

Post a Comment

<< Home